Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Smallsie,

I saw a quote recently:
Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music. ~ William Stafford
I didn't really know what that meant until I saw that somehow you had learned to dance. You are entirely indiscriminate about what inspires your booty quake. It can be my cell phone ringtone, the Arrested Development theme song, Daddy's or my wince-inducing attempt at a tune. Truly, any time I hear anything even vaguely like music I know you will wiggle. It is spectacular.

The other night most of your favorite people came over for an early Christmas dinner. At first you were a little overwhelmed and we worried for a second that all the hubbub might be too much for you. But you rebounded and became the most charming little fucker. You stood at the coffee table, where I had put nibbles for before dinner, and ate an entire blue cheese-stuffed olive. Then you ate another one.

You eat almost like a regular person now. You still like butternut squash, but now I dice it instead of puree. You love mango and sweet potato (!) and yogurt with tahini. You'll eat pasta 75% of the time. You will not eat cheese. Not string, not cheddar. (Although I think you ate the blue cheese in the olive. What are you?) You ate broccoli the other night and seemed to be down. We'll see if you do it again. Today I bought some organic buckwheat pancake mix and am excited to see how that goes. Maybe a little apricot jam will entice you.

Your hair has grown into something of a mullet. Business in the front, party in the back. It kills your father who threatens to take you for a haircut. It will not happen under my watch. I will protect every strawberry-blond hair on your fuzzy little melon like it was an organ. There will be no visits to the barber's chair until we hear our first, "what a pretty little girl." After that all bets are off.

Speaking of, you are reddish-blond and blue eyed. Apparently you didn't get the memo that you're a Jew. I will start soon to prepare you for a lifetime of, "before you continue telling your joke I think I should let you know that I'm Jewish."

You are the best age that you've ever been. You are a riot. You laugh for any reason and have very serious discussions with the vacuum cleaner. I literally can not wait to hear what's on your mind.

I love you with the heat of the sun.

Mommy

No comments: