Friday, November 10, 2006

Away

Dash was transferred into my uterus as a 5-day-old embryo (technically a blastocyst, but whatev) on May 24, 2005. He continued to live in my uterus for 239 days until he was sawed out on January 18, 2006. He slept either at the foot of our bed in a cradle or in our bed in a snuggle nest for the next 181 days. After that we moved him into his own room where he has slept (or "slept") every night for the next 115 days and counting. That makes a total of 535 days that Dash and I slept under the same roof.

On November 8, 2006 I broke the streak. Las Vegas on business. I was actually kinda looking forward to it. A night of quiet. No bottles to make, no monitors to check, no screaming episodes that start and stop for no reason that I can discern. A night of peaceful slumber for the first time in many, many days.

You won't be surprised to read that it totally sucked. I missed him so much my teeth hurt. I woke up at 5am and couldn't go back to sleep because that's when the little turd has decided morning starts. There is no peace when I'm away from him. When I can't hear him breathing. When I can't whiff the top of his sweaty little head. No peace at all.

No comments: