Sunday, August 26, 2007

25 Days, 1

It's easy, as a working parent, to get bogged down in the details of keeping the train on the tracks. It becomes increasingly simple to stop paying attention to the small joys that fill every day and only see the to-do list. So I will use the next 25 posts to acknowledge where I get my pleasure.

Before we had Dash I was fairly religious about pedicures. Nothing fancy, but about every two weeks I would head into a nearby nail salon and get a $12 pedi.

So then, you know what happens. I run out of time and steam and money and the last thing that occurs to me is to have my toenails painted. That $12 is almost enough for a pack of diapers or a board book. But, you know, even though I'm a mommy I'm still a girl. So every now and again I'll find myself home alone, the laundry washed and folded and put away. The dishes done and the floors mopped. Every object in the house has been dusted and every bill paid. No reason not to pull out the old
polish bucket and get working on whoring up the old toes.

(what I lack in skill I make up for with enthusiasm and pumice)

No comments: