Monday, February 16, 2009

Keepsakes

Years ago, when I worked at a hip little coffeehouse, I met a girl who had tattooed her niece's drawings all over her hands and arms. Although I was tempted to do the same with Dash's awesome little dude drawings, I ultimately decided to go a different way.

Not as badass as a tattoo, but also not as certifiably insane. (Close, but not quite).

Here's the inspiration. I taped it to the window & traced the guys onto some linen fabric I had hanging around. I took a little artistic license by replacing the brown dude in the top right with orange embroidery floss because I wanted a bit more color. I also somehow effed up the placement of the green dude's eye. I have no idea how it happened.

I initially bought this adorable tree fabric for the pillow, but the pattern overwhelmed the embroidery, and I went with the Jay McCarroll fabric from Sew, Mama, Sew, instead. So then I did the next logical thing. I made a slipcover for the world's ugliest popcorn tin (which I then filled with Dash's extensive toy car collection).

Sorry, puppy. You're very cute. You just don't match my vision.

No comments: