Sunday, May 03, 2009

Three

I won't lie. Dash has been a challenge lately. He questions everything, he spits, he ignores us and throws tantrums like he gets paid to do it. He's been so horrible to Josh that I sometimes wondered if it was really a phase or if he would spend the rest of his days pretending he only had one parent.

But then a day like today happens and it just washes everything away.

I got sick in San Diego, so Josh let me sleep until 10 am. I honestly can't remember the last time I slept that late, but I know for a fact it was before Dash. While I slept, the two of them had pancakes and built Lego fortresses and battleships and got to know each other again. When I finally toddled out of bed they were happy to see me, but not too.

Later, we had to run to the store for a few things and Dash wore his Spiderman costume and was the cutest thing on this Earth and the next. I actually forgot that he was dressed funny until I saw other people react to him. It was all very sweet and weird and just the kind of thing to remember the next time I'm about to throttle him for insolence.

After his nap and a visit from Aunty and a water balloon fight, we decided to throw a blanket down on the lawn in the backyard and play "fixer" (what he calls it when we play with his toy tools) and, later, restaurant. Dash and Josh wrestled over wooden chocolate cake and had a sword fight with fake bananas. I threatened to ask them both to leave my establishment for their bizarre behavior, but they just laughed at me.

When it was time for bed, Dash asked if we could sleep outside. We had to tell him no because it's still a little chilly out, but we did bring more blankets out and, after changing him into his footy jammies, we did his milk and storytime out there. All three of us, cuddled under the bright yellow moon, reading about Green Eggs and Ham and enjoying the last weekend of our vacation.

It was a lovely, lovely day. We don't fool ourselves into believing this is what life will be like from now on. He's still three and a little spoiled, but just knowing that there can be days like this, that they're on the horizon and will pop up when you least expect them, will give us the courage to carry on.

No comments: