Saturday, May 30, 2009

Princess & the Pea

I know I've said it before, but the only thing that makes me seriously sad about not having a daughter is the lack of dolls, doll houses and twirly skirts in my life. I honestly am wondering how long before I just break down and buy my own self a goddamned dollhouse.

So, I guess it goes without saying that I want to keep this little Princess & the Pea set so baaaad.

But I won't, because it's for our favorite little princess, Lis Ana, on the occasion of her third birthday. It will be paired with the amazingly delicious, Lauren Child-illustrated version of the book (that I also want to keep for myself. I am greedy.)

I was inspired to make my set by Manda's beautiful one, which is worth every penny, but is far too rich for our blood these days.

I made the doll with the same pattern I used for the Craft Hope dolls, except with white felt for the hair (Lis Ana is a Nordic princess) and a little gold crown.

The mattresses are made from some of my favorites from my stash, and are stuffed with bamboo batting.

Can you see the little pea between the bottom two mattresses? It's a little wooden bead that I painted green and strung onto embroidery floss. It's attached to the bottom mattress so it won't get lost.

2 comments:

vincent said...

I am not good at sewing by hand and I have two sewing machines that I am unable to "make" work, but this makes me want to figure something out. This is one of Siennas favorite stories and this would make a neat starting kindergarten surprise in August for the first day she comes home... I LOVE THIS!!!

molly said...

ok. we are like the same person but on different coasts, i made a set like this for my goddaughter and will make one for my girl. i used the free doll at the purlbee, but wished that i had used the black apple pattern...